Fire in Wood Chip Dryer Disrupts Operations at Terrace Pellet Plant

John Crawford
05/27/2019

One person was taken to hospital as a precaution, after a weekend fire in one of the wood chip dryers at the Skeena BioEnergy plant, next to Skeena Sawmills in Terrace.

Deputy Fire Chief Dave Jephson says the fire was reported at around 2 o'clock Saturday morning.

"The whole pellet plant was totally full of smoke -- once we were able to establish where the fire was, working with the on-site staff and their crew, we were able to confirm that the fire was going to stay there in the area of origin, prevent fire spread -- once we were able to get rid of all the smoke, we were able to sent people into the dryer to continue to fight the fire," he said.

Skeena-BioEnergy-pellet-plant-May-2019-1.jpg

There was no visible damage from the outside of the pellet plant. 

Jephson says one employee of the pellet plant was taken to hospital for possible smoke inhalation, and was later released.

There's no word yet on how long the operation will be down, but Jephson says the drier will likely be out of commission until repairs are carried out. 
 

Use of this Website assumes acceptance of Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
© 2019     All rights reserved
2018 Bell Media