All Native Basketball Tournament postponed to early April
(Photo source: Brittany Webster/Bell Media).
PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. -- UPDATE: the tournament committee says the event will now begin on either April 2nd or 3rd, depending on how many teams sign up.
As COVID-19 cases have increased again throughout B.C., it's left people wondering about the fate of the All Native Basketball Tournament, which was sadly cancelled last year due to the pandemic.
On Friday evening, the tournament's organizers posted on their Facebook page that the event would be postponed.
The event was set to take place from February 13th to 19th. It will now begin on March 27th and end on April 2nd.
Tournament President Peter Haugan said the tournament committee overwhelmingly did not want to cancel the tournament, so the majority of voters decided postponing it would be the best idea.
"We thought it would be best for everybody if we just gave this thing another month and a half to see that [the pandemic] settles down," he said.
"The tournament used to be in March to start with. They've moved it to February because of the herring fishery... but since the herring fishery is basically non-existent now, we're putting it back into March."
Haugan says March 27th was selected for the start date so that the tournament takes place right after the junior All Native tournament ends.
That event takes place from March 20th to 25th.
He says most of the players and fans that he's heard from are happy that the tournament is continuing, and that they're taking the pandemic into consideration.
For participating teams, the deadline for entry fees, rosters and other info is March 4th.